It is unfortunately a familiar face for many people, garbage on the street, on the beach, in the forest. Super annoying and heart breaking! On many social media and also offline you can see that there are more and more people who are committed to change this image. There are coming more clean-up accounts on for example Instagram, that encourage you to go out and clean up your environment or that organize their own events to do this. Maybe you already volunteered through such an account or via a website that offers clean-up events, good job!
If you want to organize a clean-up event yourself there are several ways to do it. There are a few things to keep in mind before you start an event. I will list the most important ones below.
– Where or what do I want to clean up?
– How are we going to do it? (Do we need garbage bags? Can we recycle the trash we pick up?)
– Set up a target. (How many bags are we going to fill? How much area are we going to clean?)
– Remember that you do it for the earth! Everything you pick up is profit.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”Margaret Mead
Like I said before there are several ways to organize an event. I will describe the most easy ones, so that you can start as soon as possible. Do not forget, don’t be ashamed for cleaning up waste but be proud. Don´t forget to take your grabber reacher!
- Friendwork – It’s a combination of your friends and your network. You start with approaching your best friend(s) or family and ask them to ask their friend(s). You share a date and the location of the place that you want to clean up. It can be a local park, at the beach or around a mall, whatever you want. It’s nice to be among people this way and you can measure how large your network is. Maybe you can reward them with a drink at your home afterwards.
- Facebook – Use a powerful social media channel. Facebook has a very easy way of creating new events. If you don’t know how it works, click here. When you created an new event you can invite all or just a part of your Facebook friends to come and help to clean the environment.
- Website – Search for a website in your country that support clean-up events. Most countries has initiatives from citizens or from their government that created a website specially for this topic. Most of the times you can check in on a event that’s already signed in, but most of the time there is also an option to create your own clean-up event.
- Go do it yourself – Yes, that’s right. In this case you are not depended of others. Go for a walk and repeat this once a week. Take a different route every week, sure it may be possible that in the meantime there is waste again on your previously walked route, but there is a greater chance that there will be more on your new route. Also very good for your vitality!
Also check out the page from worldcleanupday, they provide one day a year to clean up the world all together plus there are some valuable tips on here.